State BatteryPrint Page
A monument commemorates the site the State Gold Battery in Warrandyte.
In 1851 a reward was offered for a significant gold discovery in Victoria. Louis Michel and William Haberlain found grains of alluvial gold at this spot and in a few weeks 300 miners were panning gold along Anderson Creek.
|Address:||Ringwood - Warrandyte Road, Warrandyte, 3113|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.736476|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
This monument marks the site of the Satte Battery, built near here in 1897.
The Battery was driven by waterwheel and was used to crush ore from the Warrandyte Goldfields. Remains of the timber foundation can be seen on the banks fo the Yarra River.