Hendon AerodromePrint Page
|Address:||24 Circuit Drive, West Lakes Function Centre , Hendon, 5014|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.879775|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 1st June, 1986|
City of Woodville
Pt. Secs 424,425 Albert Park
This plaque commemorates the Hendon Aerodrome.
Established in 1920 by Harry J Butler and Kauper Aviation Co. Ltd., on land owned by Captain Henry John (Harry) Butler AFC, RFC 1889-1924. A legend as an aeronautical engineer and aviator and for aerobatic exhibitions in the monoplane “Red Devil”.
The Commonwealth Government acquired the land in 1922 for defence purposes as the Cheltenham and Adelaide’s first official aerodrome.
2nd June 1924, Lieutenants F.L. Roberts and F.S. Briggs of Larkin Aircraft Supply Company piloted the biplane ‘Bower Bird’ as the first aerial mail service Adelaide to Sydney
Unveiled by Jis Worhsip the Mayor John Dyer, Esq., O.A.M., J.P. 1st June, 1986 as a tribute to the pioneers of aviation.
South australia Jubilee 150 year.
Floreat Civitas Nostra