The Bendigo Tramways CentenaryPrint Page
The Sandhurst and Electric Tramway Company was the first to blaze a trail when it introduced battery trams to Bendigo in June 1890. Unfortunately they had made a serious miscalculation, as the batteries quickly proved inadequate for the hilly terrain of Bendigo. After a couple of months battery trams ceased running and were later replaced by steam trams in February 1892.
|Address:||Pall Mall & View Street, Tram Stop, Bendigo, 3550|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.759441|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||14-June-1890|
|Actual Event End Date:||14-June-1990|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 9th June, 1990|
THE BENDIGO TRAMWAYS CENTENARY
THIS PLAQUE UNVEILED ON JUNE 9,1990
Cr. P.R.MORLEY J.P. AND Cr.L.M.SCOTT J.P.
Mayor City Of Bendigo Mayor Borough Of Eaglehawk
COMMEMORATES THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE BENDIGO TRAMWAYS WHEN THE FIRST BATTERY TRAMCARS COMMENCED A SERVICE BETWEEN SANDHURST AND EAGLEHAWK
JUNE 14, 1890
A PROJECT OF THE BENDIGO TRUST
D.H.R.McCLURE - PRESIDENT
K.W.HESSE - CHAIRMAN D.R.O`HOY SECRETARY
BENDIGO VINTAGE TRAMWAYS COMMITTEE