Lamington Bridge - Historic Engineering MarkerPrint Page
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
The abnormal floods of February 1893 caused the partial destruction of the highlevel timber bridge across the Mary River, Maryborough thus cutting off the means of communication between Maryborough and Tinana and the important goldfield of Gympie. The Queensland Government and the Maryborough Bridge Board then decided to replace this bridge, erected in 1874, with a low-level bridge. The new bridge, a concrete structure, was opened to traffic in October 1896 and is still in service. The bridge was formally opened for traffic with some ceremony on the 30th October, 1896, by the Hon. David Hay Dalrymple, M.L.A., Minister for Public Works, in the presence of a large and representative assembly of the public, and the structure was named the Lamington bridge, in honour of His Excellency the Right Hon. Baron Lamington, K.C.M.G., Governor of Queensland.
|Address:||Ferry Street, Maryborough, 4650|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -25.543771|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th October, 1996|