National Engineering Heritage Landmark - Victoria Bridge Print Page
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||Ogden & Stokes Streets, Townsville, 4810|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -19.260221|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2004|
Historic Engineering Marker
Victoria Bridge and its Crossley Engine
John H Daniells, Queensland Government Engineer for bridges designed this bridge and it was constructed by G H Royce & Co of Sydney and London. It was opened on 2 July 1889 and is 550 ft (168 m) long with a 150 ft (46 m) swing span.
Power was supplied by a gas-fuelled, flame ignition Crossley Brothers Ltd (Otto Patent) 6 H.P. (4.5 kW) four-stroke engine driving hydraulic pumps anf rams. The swing span did not open after 1925 and the bridge was closed to vehicles in 1975.
The Institution of Engineers Australia and Townsville City Council, 2004
This National Engineering Heritage Landmark
was officially unveiled by
Her Excellency Ms Penelope Wensley, AO
Governor of Queensland
on this day 8 June 2010