Historic Engineering Marker - Murray River Road Bridge Print Page
An Historic Engineering Plaque dedicated to the Murray River road bridge.
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||Monash Drive, , Swan Hill, 3585|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.338229|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2004|
Historic Engineering Marker
Swan Hill - Murray River Road Bridge
Percy Allan MICE of the NSW Public Works Department designed this lift span bidge. It was built by Messrs J. B. & W. Farquharson of Melbourne and opened in 1896. Built to cater for paddle steamers of the river trade, it was cheaper, more reliable and easier to operate than earlier lift bridges. It enhanced Swan Hill as a centre of river trade and rural commerce, contributing to the prosperity of the town and district of which it has become a symbol.
The Institution of Engineers Australia
Roads and Traffic Authority, NSW
Swan Hill Rural City Council, 2004