Historic Engineering Marker-Darlington Point BridgePrint Page
An Historic Engineering Plaque dedicated to the Darlington Point Bridge.
The towers of the old bridge were reconstructed for the Australian Bicentenary celebrations and officially opened on the 4th November 1989.
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||Kidman Way , entrance to Darlington Point Riverside Caravan Park, Darlington Point, 2706|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.566892|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1989|
DARLINGTON POINT BRIDGE
THESE TOWERS WERE PART OF THE BASCULE BRIDGE ERECTED IN 1905 AT DARLINGTON POINT, AN IMPORTANT CROSSING OF THE MURRUMBIDGEE RIVER. ADAPTED FROM AN AMERICAN DESIGN FOR THE PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT BY HARVEY DARE, THE BRIDGE SERVED THE PUBLIC WELL UNTIL REPLACED IN 1979. IN 1989 THE TOWERS WERE RE-ERECTED ON THIS SITE BY THE DARLINGTON POINT ADVANCEMENT SOCIETY AND CIVIL ENGINEERING STUDENTS FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES, AS A TRIBUTE TO THE DEPENDENCE OF THE COMMUNITY ON ENGINEERING WORKS.
THE INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS,
Plaque 2 :
THE OLD DARLINGTON POINT
OFFICIALLY OPENED 4.11.1989