www.monumentaustralia.org.au

First Queensland Government Power StationPrint Page Print this page

25-November-2014
25-November-2014

Photographs supplied by John Huth
A plaque commemorates the first Government power station and the first electric lighting in Parliament House in 1886.

Location

Address:95 William Street, Brisbane, 4000
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.473181
Long: 153.024495
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1886

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 27th April, 1992
Front Inscription

First Queensland Government Power Station - 1886

The station, built on this site, began operating in July 1886 and supplied electricity for lighting the parliamentary buildings and the printing office for about twenty years.  Two Robey locomotive type steam engines and two belt driven Edison 110 volt, 30 kilowatt dynamos provided direct current supply.  Underground electrical mains in William St connected the station to the parliamentary buildings.  The Government`s initiative encouraged the firm of Barton, White & Co. to provide Brisbane's first public electricity supply in 1888.

Research and construction : Emeritus Professor S. A. Prentice, University of Queensland.

This plaque was unveiled by the Honourable Ron McLean M.L.A., Minister for Administrative Services on the 27th April 1992 to commemorate the first Government power station and the first electric lightining og Parliament House in 1886.

An initiative of the Heritage Panel of the Institution of Engineers, Australia, Queensland Division and sponsored by the Queensland Administarative Services Department and the Queensland Electricity Commission.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design