www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Camden News Print Page Print this page

10-05-2015
10-05-2015

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A time capsule, buried beneath a silver plaque, commemorates the centenary of the Camden News which was first published on October 6th, 1880. 

The time capsule is located beside the Apex Time capsule buried in 1972 and a brass time capsule buried in 2006 to celebrate the opening on the redeveloped Camden Library. 

Location

Address:37 John Street, Council of Camden, Camden, 2570
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.053956
Long: 150.695221
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event STart Date:06-October-1880
Actual Event End Date:06-October-1980

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 27th October, 1980
Front Inscription

1880                                    1980 

TO MARK THE CENTENARY OF THE CAMDEN NEWS
FIRST PUBLISHED ON OCTOBER 6 1880

A STEEL TIME CAPSULE WAS BURIED BENEATH THIS PLAQUE ON OCTOBER 27 1980 BY  HIS WORSHIP THE MAYOR OF CAMDEN, ALDERMAN ELIZABETH A. KERNOHAN IN THE PRESENCE OF  A GATHERING OF DISTRICT REPRESENTATIVES

THE GREAT SILVER DEPOSITS OF YERRANDERIE CAME FROM ROCKS SIMILAR TO THIS ONE WHICH COVERS THE TIME CAPSULE.

THE CAPSULE CONTAINS A COPY  OF THE 1880 CAMDEN NEWS (TIMES) AND COPIES OF  OTHER PAPERS PUBLISHED IN 1980, BY THE S.RICHARDSON NEWSPAPER GROUP, IN ADDITION TO A VARIETY OF  EVERYDAY ITEMS IN GENERAL USE AT THIS TIME
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design