www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Railway Water TowerPrint Page Print this page

27-November-2014
27-November-2014

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders
A plaque commemorates the centenary of the Murtoa Railway Water Tower.

The former Railway Water Tower was constructed in 1885 for the Victorian Railways; it was constructed by the Geelong firm of Humble and Nicholson. The face-brick tower is 13 metres high with a riveted wrought-iron tank at the top. Each level of the tower is marked with a string mould and the tank itself has a cornice-like rim and a basalt coping base. Each level of the tower has arched windows and, aligned with the entry door, segmented arched openings for loading. The tower is now used as a museum by the Murtoa and District Historical Society.

Location

Address:1 Comyn Street , Water Tower, Murtoa, 3390
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.615149
Long: 142.471413
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1886
Approx. Event End Date:1986
Link: http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 9th November, 1986
Front Inscription

Commemorating
The Centenary Of
MURTOA RAILWAY
WATER TOWER

9 November 1986

Source: MA, VHD
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design