Geelong & Ballarat Rail CentenaryPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of the Geelong to Ballarat rail line.
The Geelong Ballarat rail line was officially opened on 10th April 1862. This line was built to a high standard by the Victorian Railways, with double track provided throughout, stone station buildings at all of the initial stations, a number of stone bridges for roads that crossed the line, and the 1,450-foot (440 m) Moorabool Viaduct over the river of the same name. This line remained the only way from Ballarat to Melbourne until 1889 when the current direct line was complete.
|Address:||Lydiard Street North, Ballarat Railway Station, Ballarat , 3350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.558422|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||10-April-1862|
|Actual Event End Date:||10-April-1962|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 7th April, 1962|
1862 - 1962
This plaque commemorates the centenary of the opening on 10th April, 1862 of the railway line from Geelong linking Ballarat with Melbourne.
Ballarat Historical Society
Geelong Historical Society
Australian Railway Historical Society
7 April, 1962.