Historic Engineering Marker - Overland TelegraphPrint Page
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||Herbert Heritage Drive, Telegraph Station Historical Reserve, Alice Springs, 0870|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.671057|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1870|
|Actual Event End Date:||22-August-1872|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1999|
Historic Engineering Marker
The Overland Telegraph, Adelaide to Darwin, 1872
The 3178 kilometre line was built in less that two years and joined on 22 August 1872. It linked Australia to an undersea cable from Indonesia that came ashore at Port Darwin and made communication between Australia and the rest of the world possible in hours rather than weeks. The project was under the direction of Sir Charles Todd, KCMG, MA, FRS, FRAS, FRMS, FSTE, Superintendent of Posts and Telegraphs.
The first telegraph messages from overseas were relayed through this station which was first linked to Adelaide on 3 Janaury 1872.
Dedicated by the Institution of Engineers, Australia, 1999