Historic Engineering Marker - Goolwa to Port Elliot RailwayPrint Page
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||Port Elliot Road, Port Elliot, 5212|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.530079|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1992|
Historic Engineering Marker
Goolwa - Port Elliot Railway
Completed in May 1854, this was Australia's first public railway and the first Government railway in the British Colonies. By linking the River Murray to a sea port it captured river trade for South Australia from as far as Queensland. It was extended to Victor Harbor in 1864 and Strathalbyn in 1869.
Design for working by locomotives, the railway was operated with horses until it was connected to Adelaide in 1884 when steam was introduced. Since commercial operations ceased in April 1984 it has been run as a tourist railway.
Dedicated by the Institution of Engineeres, Australia, 1992.