www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Coal Mines Memorial Print Page Print this page

Coal Mines Memorial : 11- September-2014
Coal Mines Memorial : 11- September-2014

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The Coal Mines Memorial is a tribute to the people and industry that founded Kurri Kurri and the surrounding district. The memorial contains a wall with plaques listing the names of the mines in the district.

In the late 1800s the Newcastle coalfields were winding down and mine owners were looking for other areas to mine coal. The South Maitland Coalfields had been proven by Sir Edgeworth David, the Government Geological Surveyor, to be the richest coal seam in the Southern Hemisphere so of course, attention shifted to these coal fields. The town of Kurri Kurri was founded in 1902 as the service centre for the local Stanford Merthyr and Pelaw Main mines and the people who worked them. At the height of the mining era in Kurri Kurri there were 28 operational pits, employing 11,000 local men in addition to the people employed in the service industries in the town itself such as shops.

Location

Address:Lang Street, Rotary Park , Kurri Kurri , 2327
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.819358
Long: 151.480412
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1987-88
Front Inscription
COAL MINES MEMORIAL
      A TRIBUTE TO
THE PEOPLE AND INDUSTRY
       THAT FOUNDED
      KURRI KURRI
AND SURROUNDING DISTRICT
        A Project of
Rotary Club of Kurri Kurri
          1987-88
President Kerry Newell 
       Kurri Kurri
Aboriginal For :- In The Beginning

 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design