Paddle Steamer Mary Anne Print Page
Mary Ann Reserve, was named to honour the first Paddle Steamer on the river Murray. There are monuments in the reserve commemorating the paddle steamer.
William Randell was born in England in 1824 and travelled to South Australia with his parents in 1837. By the 1840s his father had established a steam driven flour mill at Gumeracha and held pastoral leases along the Murray River. William, as the eldest son, was often sent there to herd cattle. And there began his dream of creating a steam driven paddle boat to trade on the river. William wrote that he was seized with the determination that he would be the first man to put a steam boat on the river. When the news of gold discoveries along the Goulburn, a tributary of the Murray, reached William in 1852, he decided it was time for him to turn his dream into reality and build his steam driven paddle wheeler.
The “Mary Ann” was mostly built at Gumeracha by William Randell and his brothers, Francis (Frank). Thomas and Elliott and dragged by bullock train across country to Noa No Station owned by their father William Beavis Randell, 5 kms upstream from Mannum. There it was launched in 1852 and so commenced the River Boat era.
|Address:||River Lane, Mannum, 5238|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.915772|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.