www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Official Opening of the Murray 1 ProjectPrint Page Print this page

Murray 1 Opening Plaque : 15-October-2012
Murray 1 Opening Plaque : 15-October-2012

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

A plaque commemorates the official opening of the Murray 1 power station which was part of the Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electric Scheme.

The Snowy Mountains scheme or Snowy Scheme is a hydroelectricity and irrigation complex in south-east Australia. The Scheme consists of sixteen major dams; seven power stations; a pumping station; and 225 kilometres (140 mi) of tunnels, pipelines and aqueducts that were constructed between 1949 and 1974. The Scheme was completed under the supervision of Chief Engineer, Sir William Hudson and is the largest engineering project undertaken in Australia

Murray 1 Power Station is located 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) north of Khancoban along the Alpine Way. The conventional gravity-fed hydroelectric power station has ten Boving Engineering UK-manufactured turbines, each fitted with ASEA-manufactured generators, with a combined generating capacity of 950 megawatts (1,270,000 hp) of electricity. The power station was completed in 1967, and has 460.2 metres (1,510 ft) rated head. Fed by the pumped flows via the Snowy-Geehi Haupt-tunnel from Island Bend Pondage, it receives water from the Geehi Reservoir on the Geehi River and discharges into the Murray  Pondage. The station is capable of producing enough electricity to supply over 95,000 homes.

 

Location

Address:Alpine Way, Murray 1 Visitor Centre, Khancoban, 2642
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.246862
Long: 148.190523
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 22nd July, 1967
Front Inscription

SNOWY MOUNTAINS HYDRO-ELECTRIC AUTHORITY

THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATES THE OFFICIAL OPENING
          OF THE MURRAY 1 PROJECT
                   ON 22nd JULY 1967
                            BY
              THE PRIME MINISTER
THE RIGHT HON. HAROLD HOLT, C.H., M.P.

The Minister for National Environment   
The Honourable David Fairbairn D.F.C., M.P.
Commissioner  H.E.Dann, C.B.E
Associate Commissioners: R.G.Warrell, C.W.H.Skinner.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design