Hampden Bridge - Historic Engineering MarkerPrint Page
An Historic Engineering Plaque dedicated to the Hampden Bridge.
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||Moss Vale Road, Hampden Bridge, Kangaroo Valley, 2577|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.727183|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||E.M.de Burgh|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Loveridge & Hudson|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1999|
THE HAMPDEN BRIDGE
KANGAROO VALLEY NSW
THIS BRIDGE IS THE ONLY SURVIVING SUSPENSION BRIDGE FROM THE COLONIAL PERIOD OF NEW SOUTH WALES AND WAS AN OUTSTANDING ENGINEERING ACHIEVEMENT FOR ITS TIME. DESIGNED BY THE EMINENT ENGINEER E M DE BURGH OF THE PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT AND BUILT BY LOVERIDGE AND HUDSON, IT WAS OPENED ON 19 MAY 1898, REPLACING THE 2-SPAN TIMBER TRUSS BRIDGE OF 1879.
THE INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS, AUSTRALIA AND
THE KANGAROO VALLEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY INC.1999