www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Railway Services to CootamundraPrint Page Print this page

Railway Centenary Plaque : 03-January-2009
Railway Centenary Plaque : 03-January-2009

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

A plaque commemorates the centenary of railway services to Cootamundra.

Contracts were let in 1877 for construction of a temporary timber station building, goods shed, and Station Master’s residence, with Cootamundra station opening on 1 November 1877. The line from Harden to Cootamundra was opened by Mr. John Lackey, Minister for Justice & Education, who, along with the Commissioner for Railways, John Rae and other dignitaries, led a procession through Cootamundra before attending a banquet and ball in the newly constructed goods shed. (Forsyth, 1989).

Location

Address:Hovell Street, Cootamundra Railway Station , Cootamundra, 2590
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.641076
Long: 148.030281
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1877
Approx. Event End Date:1977
Link: http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 1st November, 1977
Front Inscription

1877   1977

Public Transport Commission of New South Wales

This plaque was unveiled by His Excellency the Governor Sir Roden Cutler VC, KCMG, KCVO, CBE, KStJ. to commemorate the centenary of railway services to Cootamundra on 1 November, 1977.

Alan S. Reiher                     Chief Commissioner
The Hon. Peter Cox M.L.A. Minister for Transport and Highways
T. W. Sheahan                     Member for Burrinjuck
K. Jones                              Station Master
      
 

Source: HNSW, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design