National Engineering Landmark - Great North RoadPrint Page
A plaque recognises the Great North Road as an National Engineering Landmark.
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||Settlers Road, The Great North Road, Wisemans Ferry, 2775|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.375145|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2001|
NATIONAL ENGINEERING MARKER
The Institution of Engineers, Australia
Great North Road
This road was built between 1826 and 1836 to connect early Sydney to the rapidly developing Hunter Valley region. It is over 240 kilometres long and was constructed by convict labour under the supervision of colonial engineers. Lieutenant Percy Simpson was responsible for the Devines Hill section. He brought to the construction knowledge of the techniques emerging from the road building revolution in Europe at the time and adapted them to the harsh environment of the new colony. The Great North Road was part of Governor Darling`s vision of a well constructed and permanent road system.
The Institution of Engineers, Australia and
the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service