Centenary of Irrigation SystemPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the centenary of the irrigation system in Nanneella, Timmering and the surrounding districts and pays tribute to the pioneers.
The fine record of three Nanneella irrigators, who conjointly selected 150 acres three years ago, should afford, an encouraging object lesson to others who desire to earn their living by the practice of irrigated agriculture. The firm consists of
Messrs. J. Jacobs. his brother and Mr. Kennedy, his brother-in-law, three Irish men, whose previous homes were within a
few miles of the town of Dublin.
In March, 1911, these three raw Irish immigrants arrived in Victoria. and selected the irrigation blocks which they now hold. Since then they have applied themselves so industriously and skilfully to the problem of rendering their enterprise fruitful that already a marked degree of success has attended their efforts.
Steadily improving the land and rendering it productive, Messrs Jacobs and Kennedy--who never before had performed rough manual labor--soon had a large area under lucerne and various fodder crops. Previous to this stage they had applied themselves vigorously to the eradication of all rabbits in the near neighborhood.
Leader (Melbourne), 25th July 1914.
|Address:||Echuca-Nanneella Road, Nanneella Memorial Hall , Nanneella, 3561|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.313919|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1911|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2011|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 27th August, 2011|
NANNEELLA TIMMERING HERITAGE GROUP
27TH AUGUST 2011
This plaque commemorates a centenary of an irrigation
system in Nanneella, Timmering and surrounding districts.
It acknowledges the contribution made by early settlers and
those who followed in their committment to grown and provide
food for the nation.