150th Anniversary of B. Seppelt & SonsPrint Page
A seat commemorates the 150th anniversary of winewakers, B. Seppelt & Sons.
The Seppelt family settled in the Barossa Valley in 1851, and purchased the property now known as Seppeltsfield. The Seppeltsfield area is warm and dry, with only a 500 mm Rainfall, while the soils are heavy and red brown. The Seppelt family vines flourished in this fertile valley and Joseph also encouraged his neighbours to plant vines. Soon the landscape was transformed to lush fields of green and gold vines.
Seppeltsfield’s first vintage was produced in the family dairy. By 1867, Joseph had commenced construction of a full scale winery. Unfortunately he did not live to see it completed, but his enterprising and pioneering spirit lived on after him. His eldest son, Oscar Benno Seppelt worked hard to ensure his father's dream came true. Only 21 years old when he inherited the winery in 1868. It was Benno's influence, more than anything else, which earned Seppeltsfield its reputation for quality wines.
From such small beginnings, Benno continued to expand Seppeltsfield until, by the turn of the 20th Century it was Australia's largest winery, producing 2 million litres annually.
|Address:||75 Murray Street, Tanunda, 5352|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.525841|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1851|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2001|
To commemorate the 150th anniversary of B. Seppelt & Sons
1851 - 2001