Historic Engineering Marker-Lithgow Blast Furnace Print Page
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||Inch Street, Blast Furnace Park, Lithgow, 2790|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.475076|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1992|
HISTORIC ENGINEERING MARKER
LITHGOW BLAST FURNACE
THIS IS THE SITE OF THE BLAST FURNACE AND AUXILIARY PLANT ERECTED BY WILLIAM SANDFORD IN 1906-07 AND EXTENDED BY THE HOSKINS COMPANY IN 1913. IT SERVED THE LITHGOW IRON AND STEEL INDUSTRY UNTIL 1928, WAS THE FIRST CONTINUOUSLY ECONOMIC PRODUCER OF AUSTRALIAN STEEL AND MADE POSSIBLE THE ESTABLISHMENT OF OTHER STEEL PRODUCING CENTRES AT NEWCASTLE AND PORT KEMBLA.
THE INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS , AUSTRALIA 1992.