www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Historic Engineering Marker - Perth Wireless StationPrint Page Print this page

30-August-2017
30-August-2017

Photographs supplied by Harold Frochter

A plaque recognises Perth Wireless Station as a Historic Engineering Marker.

Wireless Hill Park is a 40-hectare (99-acre) park that is the location of the former Applecross Wireless Station, an early radio station in Western Australia. The station buildings have been preserved and now house the Wireless Hill Telecommunications Museum. The site is listed in the Register of the National Estate and the State Register of Heritage Places.

In 1909 the Commonwealth Government decided that wireless telegraphy stations should be established around the coastline of Australia, and in 1910 awarded the contract for the Perth station to Australasian Wireless Limited. Clearing of the site and construction began in 1911, with the Applecross Wireless Station completed and officially opened on 30 September 1912.

The station was initially owned and operated by Australasian Wireless, on behalf of the Postmaster-General's Department (PMG), as a commercial service for shipping.

The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.

Location

Address:Telefunken Drive, Wireless Hill Park, Ardross, 6153
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.030492
Long: 115.827675
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1994
Front Inscription

Historic Engineering Marker

Perth Wireless Station

On 30 September 1912, eighteen years after Marconi`s first radio experiments, the Australian Postmster General`s Department commissioned this coastal radio station, equipped with a Telefunken 25kw Quenched-Spark long - wave transmitter, coupled to a 120 metre high guyed aerial.  

It established the first direct radiotelegraphic communications across the continent and maintained contact with shipping.

Betwwen 1922 and its 1967 decommissioning, it also linked Australia to the world by short-wave.

Dedicated by the Institution of Engineers, Australia, 1994.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design