www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150th Anniversary of the Red BridgePrint Page Print this page

15-January-2014
15-January-2014

Photographs supplied by John Huth

A plaque commemorates the 150th anniversary of the opening of the Red Bridge in 1838.

The Red Bridge in Tasmania crosses the Elizabeth River at Campbell Town. Built in 1838 using penal labour, it is the oldest surviving brick arch bridge in Australia, as well as the oldest bridge anywhere on the National Highway.

It is said to have been designed by James Blackburn, architect to Melbourne and a convict himself. It was constructed of 1,250,000 handmade bricks on dry land, and after its completion the river was diverted to flow under the bridge.

The Red Bridge is registered on the Register of the National Estate since 1978.

Location

Address:Midland Highway, Campbell Town, 7210
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.932791
Long: 147.492676
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription

The Red Bridge

Foundation stone laid by Lieut. Gov. Arthur, 21 Oct. 1836
Constructed by convicts 1837 - 1838
Supervised by Captain Frederick North under the direction of the Director General of Public Works, Captain Alexander Cheyne.

Opened by Lieut. Gov. Sir John Franklin, July 1838
Specifications - Length 38 yards
Width between parapets 28 feet.

This plaque commemorates the 150th anniversary of the opening of the bridge, unveiled Tasmania Day 1988.

Proclaimed as a place of State heritage significance in the Tasmanian Heritage Register 22 September 1999

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design