Bendigo Electric Tramways CentenaryPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the centenary of the electric tramways in Bendigo.
In 1890 Bendigo experimented with Battery trams, but it is no surprise that the experiment failed and sent the operator bankrupt. So, from 1892, the town was served by a Steam tram system, which lasted until 1902. In 1903, the Electricity Supply Company of Victoria (a British company) introduced electric trams, partly as a way of selling electricity to customers along the routes. Among them were two single-truck toastrack trams (also called Summer Cars) which were built for the Bendigo tramways in 1913. One of these is preserved at the Bendigo Tramways.
|Address:||1 Tramways Avenue, Bendigo Tram Depot, Bendigo, 3550|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.754044|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 12th April, 2003|
THE BENDIGO TRUST
CELEBRATED THE CENTENARY
ELECTRIC TRAMWAYS IN BENDIGO
ON 12TH APRIL 2003
PLAQUE UNVEILED BY
THE HON JACINTA ALLEN MP
Minister for Education Services, Employment and Youth Affairs
Member for Bendigo East
David Wright Dennis O'Hoy Kim Smith
C.E.O. President Tramways Manager