Centenary of Split Point LighthousePrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of Split Point Lighthouse and 100 years of dedicated service to the mariner.
Originally called Eagles Nest Point, the lighthouse was built in 1891. The cement rendered concrete tower has a Chance Brothers first order lantern and a 920mm focal radius lens. The original light source was vapourised kerosene.
When it was taken over by the Commonwealth Government in 1919 the light was converted to acetylene and automated. Conversion to mains electricity took place in 1972.
|Address:||Federal Street, Split Point, Aireys Inlet, 3231|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.468057|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1891|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1991|
|Monument Designer:||Public Works Department|
|Monument Manufacturer:||R. Anderson & Sons|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 1st September, 1991|
Split Point Lighthouse 1891 - 1991
This plaque was unveiled on 1 September 1991 by Mr Collin Freeland A.O. Chairman of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority to commemorate the Centenary of the Split Point Lighthouse
One hundred years of dedicated service to the mariner