Broadford Paper Mill CentenaryPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the centenary of the Broadford Paper Mill.
Victoria's fourth paper mill was built at Broadford, Victoria and started in October 1890, though regular production did not commence until February or March 1891. It was founded by James Macdougall of the printing and stationery firm of Sands & McDougall. The mill was located on the east bank of the Sunday Creek on a site that had previously been used as a flour mill and included a house for the manager and two cottages. There were about 30 employees to begin with.
The papermaking machine, which was imported from the United States of America, was said to be of 84 inch capacity and capable of producing 50 tons of strawboard per week. This mill used straw as its main raw material and was originally known as the only strawboard mill in the British Empire. As well as straw it also used rope, rags, bagging, old tarpaulin and waste paper. The finished strawboard was placed in trucks and hauled to the railway sidings by four horses.
In 1895 the Broadford Mill combined with the mills at Melbourne and Geelong to form "The Australian Paper Mills Co. Ltd.". A large part of the mill was destroyed by fire in 1911 but was rebuilt.
|Address:||Broadford-Kilmore Road, Paper Mill, Broadford, 3658|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.199001|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1890|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1990|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 27th October, 1990|
AUSTRALIAN PAPER MANUFACTURERS
1890 - 1990
THE FRIENDS OF BROADFORD
ON THE 27TH OCTOBER 1990