Jenolan Caves-Historical Engineering MarkerPrint Page
Historical Engineering Marker is dedicated to the part that engineering played in the development of the Jenolan Caves.
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||4655 Jenolan Caves Road, Grand Arch entrance, Jenolan, 2790|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.818915|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1996|
ENGINEERING HAS PLAYED A PART IN ESTABLISHING JENOLAN CAVES AS A SIGNIFICANT TOURIST DESTINATION. DESIGNED BY PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT ENGINEERS, THE FIRST ROAD ACCESS WAS COMPLETED IN 1879, THE FIRST WATER SUPPLY DAM C1897 AND THE FIRST SEWERS C1898. WITHIN THE CAVES, PATHS, STAIRS, LADDERS, FENCES AND BRIDGES WERE BUILT BY GUIDES. RLECTRIC LIGHTING IN THE CAVES WAS AT THE FOREFRONT OF TECHNOLOGY IN 1889. COLLECTIVELY THE WORKS ARE ESSENTIAL FOR EASY ACCESS, THE SAFETY OF VISITORS AND PROTECTION OF THE ENVIRONMENT.
THE INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS, AUSTRALIA
AND THE JENOLAN CAVES RESERVE TRUST 1996.