www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge Print Page Print this page

Opening of Sydney Harbour Bridge Plaque 1
Opening of Sydney Harbour Bridge Plaque 1

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

Plaque erected by the Sydney Municipal Council commemorates the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 1932.

Under the directions of Dr J.J.C. Bradfield of the NSW Department of Public Works, the bridge was designed and built by British firm Dorman Long and Co Ltd of Middlesbrough and opened in 1932. The bridge's design was influenced by the Hell Gate Bridge in New York. It is also the sixth longest spanning-arch bridge in the world, and it is the tallest steel arch bridge, measuring 134 metres (440 ft) from top to water level.

Elaborate celebrations will attend the opening ceremony, on March 19th of the colossal bridge spanning Sydney Harbour, the largest one-span arch bridge in the world. This enormous structure, taking over eight years to build, will have cost nearly £10,000,000 including the massive approaches, at the time of completion. There are 50,300 tons of steelwork, 37,000 tons of which make up the huge span alone.
Western Star and Roma Advertiser (Toowoomba), 9th January 1932

Location

Address:Cumberland Street, Southern Bridge stairs, adjacent traffic lane 8, The Rocks , 2000
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.859086
Long: 151.20671
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 19th March, 1932
Front Inscription

(plaque 1)
                  Erected By The Municipal Council Of Sydney
To Commemorate The Opening Of The Sydney Harbour Bridge
                                     ALDERMAN S. WALDER                        1932
                                          Lord Mayor
                           ALDERMEN OF THE COUNCIL 
                                            (NAMES)

(plaque 2)
                  SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE
The Bridge Was Here Declared Open For Traffic 
                          On 19th March 1932

                                By
         THE HONOURABLE JOHN  T. LANG MLA
Premier And Colonial Treasurer Of New South Wales

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design