www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Koondrook - Kerang TramwayPrint Page Print this page

17-September-2013
17-September-2013

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A plaque commemorates the centenary of the opening of the Koondrook to Kerang Tramway which was held in 1989.

The Kerang–Koondrook Tramway was an Australian private railway of 5 ft 3 in (1,600 mm) broad gauge running from the state-owned Victorian Railways network at Kerang to the Murray River town of Koondrook, with intermediate stations at Yeoburn, Hinksons, Teal Point and Gannawarra.

Construction of the 13.94 mi (22.43 km) long line was initiated by the Shire of Swan Hill in 1887, under the terms of the Tramways in Country Districts Act 1886, which allowed local governments in country areas to construct tramways, with financial assistance from the Victorian government, to a limit of £2,000 a mile. The tramway was opened in 1889.

Location

Address:Main Street, Koondrook, 3580
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.642169
Long: 144.131392
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event STart Date:1889
Actual Event End Date:1989

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 16th July, 1989
Front Inscription

Koondrook / Kerang Tramway
Centenary Celebrations

July 15 & 16th 1989
Time Capsule
Opened in the year
          2039

Plaque donated by
Barham & District Services Memorial Club Limited.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design