Engineering Heritage Marker-Fyansford Monier Arch BridgePrint Page
Engineering Heritage Marker recognises the Fyansford Monier Arch Bridge as a site of engineering historical significance. The Fyansford Bridge was one of the first Monier reinforced concrete bridges built in Victoria and therefore represents a significant change in the materials and methods used for building road bridges.
The Fyansford Bridge was built by Melbourne consulting engineers, Monash & Anderson who started their practice in 1894. Negotiations with the Shire Councils of Corio and Bannockburn, which shared responsibility for the bridge across the Moorabool River at Fyansford, commenced in 1897. Construction began in 1899 and proceeded quickly despite some difficulties in finding good foundations for the piers and abutments.
The reinforced concrete arches on the downstream side were cast in August 1899 and the upstream side in October 1899. The bridge was approaching completion in December 1899 and traffic started to use it; however, it was not tested until February 1900. The bridge carried the Hamilton Highway over the Moorabool River from 1899 until 1970. A new bridge was then built to carry an increased traffic flow; made of reinforced concrete but used precast girders rather than arches. The Fyansford Bridge is still in use, carrying pedestrian and bicycle traffic.
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||Hamilton Highway, Fyansford, 3221|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.14194|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Monash & Anderson (Consulting Engineers)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 12th October, 2012|
THE FIRST MONIER BRIDGE
IN THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF VICTORIA
THE SHIRES OF BANNOCKBURN AND CORIO
W.H.JONES. PRESIDENT, BANNOCKBURN SHIRE
JAMES CAMBELL. PRESIDENT, CORIO SHIRE
SAMUEL MORRIS AND JAMES BLAIR. SECRETARIES
A.L.CAMPBELL. SUPERINTENDING ENGINEER
ERECTED BY MONASH & ANDERSON