Dray Road MemorialPrint Page
The Dray Road Memorial commemorates the route from Ipswich to Port Cleveland which was used by wool teams in the 1850s.
In the mid to late 1840s, Torn Petrie, the son of Andrew Petrie, the earlier explorer who gave his name to the hill at Belmont and overseer of public works in Brisbane during the penal period, marked a road from Cleveland to Eight Mile Plains crossing Bulimba Creek at Wishart and Upper Mt Gravatt, which extended the dray road passing from "Cowper's Plains" through Ipswich to the Darling Downs, enabling the pastoralists on the Downs to transport their produce to the coast for shipment.
|Address:||Mount Gravatt-Capalaba Road, Wishart, 4122|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.545977|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 23rd May, 1981|
This plaque was donated by Mr Douglas Jolly, son of the first Lord Mayor of Greater Brisbane Alderman W.A. Jolly C.M.G. to commemorate the existence and route from Ipswich to Port Cleveland and was unveiled by the right honourable the Lord Mayor of Brisbane Alderman, F.N. Sleeman, on 23rd May 1981.
In the 1850`s wool teams from the Darling Downs and Brisbane Valley en-route to Port Cleveland crossed Bulimba Creek in this vicinity and later joined the Brisbane Cleveland Road at Capalaba. The traffic continued over the Tingalpa Creek at points now under water beneath Sir Leslie Harrison Dam.