Stockman StatuePrint Page
Statue commemorates the early pioneers of the Northern Territory Cattle Industry.
Nat Buchanan was the first to overland cattle across the Barkly Tablelands and later the Murranji Track, the "ghost road of the drovers" (when he established Wave Hill Station). These two tracks were vital for the industry and both cattle and human lives were lost, as there was minimal or no water on these major stock routes. Many places on The Track were vital to the adventures of Buchanan and others. A typical example was the original Newcastle Waters and then Newcastle Waters the settlement. In 1911 the Commonwealth Government took over the NT and in 1917 established a depot at Newcastle Waters for the construction of 13 bores across this waterless land (which took seven years to build).
|Address:||Stuart Highway, Drovers Memorial Park, Newcastle Waters, 0862|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.373169|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 17th September, 1988|
Drovers Memorial Park
In commemoration of the contribution made by
the Early Pioneers of the
Northern Territory Cattle Industry.
This statue was funded by
Northern Territory Government,
Australian Bicentennial Authority
and people of Australia
Unveiled 17th September 1988 by
Kenneth H. Warriner - Rodney Watson