Fiebig MonumentPrint Page
The National Trust plaque was erected near Penneshaw to honour the creation of the bee sanctuary. Kangaroo Island was declared a bee sanctuary in 1885. No other bees have since been imported to the Island.The site of the original apiary is well known to Islanders but is not supported by firm historical evidence as to the date. However August Fiebig undoubtedly played an important role in conserving the genetic heritage of the pure Ligurian bee
In the early 1880s Fiebig established an apiary and introduced the Ligurian strain of bees from Italy. The Ligurian bees on Kangaroo Island are believed to be the last remaining pure stock of this bee found anywhere in the world.
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.734444|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.