www.monumentaustralia.org.au

50 years of Australian Brahman Breeders`Association Print Page Print this page

27-August-2013
27-August-2013

Photographs supplied by John Huth

A statue of a Brahman Bull commemorates 50 years of the Australian Brahman Breeders`Association which started in Mareeba in 1946 as the Australian Zebu Breeders`Association.

Location

Address:Byrnes Street (Mulligan Highway), Ant Hill Park, Mareeba, 4880
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -17.011156
Long: 145.425015
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Agriculture
Actual Event STart Date:07-October-1946
Actual Event End Date:07-October-1996

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1996
Front Inscription

1996
AUSTRALIAN BRAHMAN BREEDERS' ASSOCIATION
GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY
1946 - 1996
50 YEARS ACHIEVEMENT 

The introduction of Registered Brahman cattle to Australia in 1933 began the greatest revolution in the history of beef production in Australia.
Droughts were turned into dry spells, the ravages of cattle tick disappeared and struggling beef enterprises became profitable.  The development of the northern beef industry we know today was pioneered with Brahman cattle and they remain its foundation.  A most significant event in history of the Australia cattle industry was the formation of the Australian Zebu Breeders`Association at Mareeba on 7 October, 1946 by two local cattlemen, Ken Atkinson from Wairuna and Maurice de Tournouer from Wetherby.
From humble beginnings the Association, which changed its name to the Australian Brahman Breeders`Association in 1954, has provided leadership and guidance to develop the Australian Brahman breed to a position of eminence in the Australian cattle industry as well as the beef industry internationally.
The Australian Brahman Breeders`Association has the distinction of being the largest beef cattle breed association in Australia.


 

Back Inscription

F. N. Q. Brahman Stud

Contributors to the Brahman Bull Monument 1996

"Adiland"         Adil & Co.
"Agostine"       D. Byrne
"Alray"               A. & R. Argus
"Bamboo"        D. & R. Cowe
"Bendamore"  M. & O. Maggiolo
"Bogandilla"  M. Trout
"Bow" L. Bowyer
"Braeside Farm"  B. & M. Kyte
"Camdale Park" M. & P. Callaghan
"Camella" B. & C. Butler
"Crocodile" W & L. Wallace
"Crown J" S. & C. Jenkins
"Dotsmere" E. Booth
"Double E"  E. & E. Cole
"Eacham Downs" A. Dowling
"G. I. " R. & G. Harriman
"Gunnawarra" P. Jenkins
"Lakewood" M. & D. Lanskey
"Len-Aulda" G. & R. Seamark
"Lyrapa"  G & G Lee
"Minnamoolka" V., &. & M. Atkinson & G.Jenkins
"Monsoon" J. Mehonoshen
"Mt Utchee" G. Drew
"Nyleetta" B. Madin
"Parmena" D. & M. Buchanan
"ReedyBrook" G. & J. Harriman
"Rhondavale" W. Wieland
"Sahara" C. & H. Agius
"Wadda Vale" R. & R. Bendel
"W H." San Remo Farming Co.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design