Lost Children MemorialPrint Page
Sandstone monument with ornamental pinnacle inside a wrought-iron enclosure marking the grave of the three boys, William Graham, 6 1/2, Thomas Graham, 4 and Alfred H. Burman, 5, who wandered from their homes at Table Hill near Daylesford 30 June 1867, and whose bodies were found on 14 September in a hollow tree at Musk Creek.
The monument, erected in 1868, was paid for by public subscription and fundraising activities in an outpouring of grief following the discovery of the boys’ bodies on September 14, 1867. The grave was refurbished by the Daylesford and District Historical Society, with funds from the Graham Grave Trust.
Mr Graham, father of William and Thomas, donated funds for a scholarship at Daylesford Primary School in appreciation of what the people of Daylesford had done for his family. The scholarship, known as the Graham Dux has been awarded to a boy and girl each year since 1889.
|Address:||Knox Street, Cemetery, Daylesford, 3460|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.342699|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||30-June-1867|
|Actual Event End Date:||14-September-1867|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1867|
This monument was erected by public subscription under the direction of the Mayor and Borough Council as an expression of regret and sympathy
In memory of the lost children
William Graham aged 6½ years.
Thomas Graham aged 4 years.
Alfred H. Bruman aged 5 years.
who wandered from their homes at Table Hill on Sunday, June 30th 1867.
After an ineffectual search their remains were found by accident, in a hollow tree near Musk Creek on September 14th 1867. and after a public funeral were here deposited