Henry McCabe & William McMurray (Mining Disaster Memorial) Print Page
Memorial erected in memory of Henry Osborne McCabe and William McMurray who perished while attempting to rescue others in the Mount Kembla mining disaster of 1902. The memorial is also in the memory of the 94 others who perished in the disaster.
The memorial was originally a fountain with two gas lamps which was unveiled in 1905 and stood originally near the intersection of Crown Street and Keira Street. In July 1937, the memorial was relocated from the Crown Street site to the centre of Wollongong Rest Park which also contained other memorials. Wollongong Rest Park was developed to make way for the Gateway Shopping Centre and in 1973 the memorial was relocated to its present site. The fountain and gas lamps are no longer functioning.
At around 2.00 p.m. on 31 July 1902 a large volume of flame and smoke was seen to burst from the main tunnel of the Mount Kembla colliery near Wollongong. A massive explosion in the mine resulted in the tragic loss of 96 lives and many serious injuries. A royal commission was set up to investigate the disaster. The cause of the explosion was found to be the ignition of firedamp or methane gas supplying a miner`s light. The explosion generated a coal dust explosion that wrecked a large portion of the mine. The recommendations of the royal commission included more testing for gas, improvements in ventilation and shot-firing practices, and the use of safety lamps where gas was present. The miner`s safety lamp has now been replaced by modern, electric lamps and other safety equipment. 38 victims are buried in the Anglican Church grounds.
The memorial fountain erected in the main street of Wollongong by public subscription, and dedicated to the memory of Major McCabe and William McMurray (who lost their lives in endeavouring to save life) and the 74(sic) others who perished in the Mount Kembla disaster, was unveiled this afternoon by the Mayor of Wollongong (Alderman Beatson) in the presence of 5000 people. The oration was delivered by Mr. G. W. Fuller, M.P. Several leading townspeople, as well as the local clergymen, also spoke. Sub-inspector Banks, who was lately transferred from Wollongong to Orange, and who also distinguished himself for bravery at the time of the disaster, was presented with an illuminated address and a gold watch and chain by the townspeople of Wollongong.
Evening News (Sydney, NSW),12 August 1905.
|Address:||Cordeaux Road, Anglican Church, Mount Kembla, 2526|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.432411|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1902|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1902|
|Monument Manufacturer:||F.W. Rose (Wollongong)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 12th August, 1905|
THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED
TO COMMEMORATE THE
HEROISM AND SELF-SACRIFICE
HENRY OSBORNE MACCABE
WHO PERISHED IN THE
ON 31st JULY 1902
WHILE NOBLE ENDEAVOURING
TO SAVE LIFE
ALSO IN THE MEMORY OF THE 94
OTHERS WHOSE NAMES ARE
INSCRIBED ON THE TABLETS AND
WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE
SAME CALAMITOUS OCCURRENCE