Mr. & Mrs. Killner WallerPrint Page
A plaque commemorates Mr. & Mrs. Killner Waller who lost their lives in the sinking og the "Dunbar' in 1856. The plaque is believed to have come from the old York Street Baptist church.
The Dunbar was built as a first class passenger and cargo carrier. Ship rigged and well fitted out throughout, the vessel was, at the time of launching, the largest timber vessel constructed in Sunderland. This was partly in response to the demand for ships to carry passengers to the Australian goldfields. The Dunbar however was initially deployed as a troop ship in the Crimean War and did not become involved in the Australian trade until 1856.
During the night of the 20th August 1857, the ship was approaching the entrance to Port Jackson on its second trip. There were 59 crew and 63 passengers on board under command of Captain Green. Approaching the Heads in a violent storm, the crew burnt a blue light to attract a pilot. The ship was driven against the cliffs of South Head and rapidly broke apart. Only one out of 122 survived, Able Seaman James Johnson, who managed to cling to the cliff face until rescued some 1-2 days later. Bodies and wreckage filled the harbour.
|Address:||11 Frederick Street, City Baptist Church, Launceston, 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.441053|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||20-August-1857|
|Actual Event End Date:||20-August-1857|