www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Tom Hardy, Sydney Smith & Louis GrampPrint Page Print this page

09-September-2015
09-September-2015
Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole
A plaque erected by the Royal Adelaide Agricultural & Horticultural Society commemorates Tom Hardy, Sydney Smith and Louis Gramp who lost their lives in the Kyeema plane crash of 1938. The men were all prominent in the wine industry of South Australia. 

Crashing into the side of the mountain between Mount Dandenong and Bourke's Lookout at 1.45 p.m. today the Australian National Airways plane Kyeema was completely wrecked and all of the 14 passengers and crew of four were instantly killed. The plane, on striking the mountain, immediately caught fire, and the flames swept through the wreckage. The bodies were found among twisted wings, smashed fuselage, and scattered engine parts. 

Messrs. Hardy, Gramp, and Hill Smith were members of a committee which had been called together to meet at Canberra and discuss new proposals vital to the industry which had been issued by the Federal Viticultural Council. The meeting was to have been held tomorrow in Canberra. The three men were all heads of their respective firms.

Mr. Thomas Hardy was head of the firm of Thomas Hardy & Sons. He was born at Bankside in 1890. and was educated at St. Peter's College and later at the University of Adelaide, where he obtained the degree of Bachelor of Science. He was a past president of the Winemakers' Association. Mr. Hardy was a prominent and popular yachtsman. At one time he was vice-commodore of the Royal South Australian Yacht Squadron. and served on the squadron's committee for more on the squadron's committee for more than 10 years. He was also commodore of the Brighton and Seacliff Yacht Club. Mr. Hardy owned the yacht Neridah and was a certificated yachtmaster. He served in the war as an officer.

Mr. Hill Smith was managing director of S. Smith & Son Ltd., Yalumba.  Mr. Hill Smith, who was 41, was born at Angaston. He attended the Angaston Public School. and later went to St. Peter's College. He joined up shortly after the outbreak of war and was wounded while in Egypt. When he returned he joined the firm of S. Smith and Son, and when the firm became a limited company in 1926, he was appointed managing director. He is survived by a widow and two sons, aged 15 and 9 who live at Angaston.

Mr. Hugo Gramp was head of the firm of G. Gramp & Sons. In addition to being a member of the Winemakers' Association, he was a prominent member of the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society.
News (Adelaide),  25 October 1938.

 

Location

Address:Goodwood Road, Royal Adelaide Showground, near Parade Ground, Wayville, 5034
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.945385
Long: 138.588992
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Tragedy

Dedication

Front Inscription
IN MEMORY OF
TOM MAYFIELD HARDY
SIDNEY HILL SMITH
LOUIS HUGO GRAMP
1938

Erected By Royal Agricultural & Horticultural Society Of SA Inc.
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design