John Cole "Jack" ReedmanPrint Page
A fountain commemorates prominent athlete, John Cole Reedman, who was widely regarded as the most remarkable South Australian sportsman to emerge in the first 70 or 80 years of the state`s history.
Reedman captained his state at both AFL football and cricket, played Test Cricket for Australia, and was a champion long distance swimmer. His football career spanned 23 years with four clubs, during which time he could only recall missing one game. A ruckman of great ability and toughness and a skilled defender, Reedman played for South Adelaide from 1889 to 1898, captaining them over those same 10 years to five premierships; he was forced to leave South Adelaide under the Electorate System which came into effect in 1899, and went on to captain North Adelaide for 5 years to 2 premierships, and later coached West Adelaide from bottom to top and to Champions of Australia.
Widely respected by his contemporaries for his leadership abilities, Reedman is credited with introducing the concept of the loose man which has become so much a part of today`s game. He was one of the original inductees into the AFL Hall of Fame in 1996.
The late Jack Reedman, former interstate cricketer and footballer, is commemorated by a fountain near the entrance to the Adelaide Oval. It was unveiled on Saturday afternoon, by Sir Wallace Bruce. 'We remember Reedman as a fine colleague, a popular leader, and a very fine gentleman.' he said. 'He did much to foster sport in South Australia, and his example should be an inspiration to play the game.' The Lord Mayor accepted the fountain on behalf of the city. Many former colleagues of Mr. Reedman attended the ceremony.
The Register News-Pictorial (Adelaide, SA). 9 September 1929.
|Address:||King William Road, Pennington Gardens, North Adelaide, 5006|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.914375|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 7th September, 1929|
ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF THE LATE J.C.REEDMAN CAPTAIN OF NORTH ADELAIDE FOOTBALL AND CRICKET CLUB’S. BY THE MEMBERS AND SPORTING FRIENDS. SEPT 7. 1929