www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Walter & Eliza SkinnerPrint Page Print this page

Skinner Sundial : 17-03-2010
Skinner Sundial : 17-03-2010

Photographs supplied by John Huth

A sundial commemorates the centenary of the arrival at Jandowae East of Walter and Eliza Skinner.

Location

Address:High Street, Athlone Cottage, Jandowae, 4410
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.779602
Long: 151.108352
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1907
Approx. Event End Date:2007

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 27th January, 2007
Front Inscription

THIS SUNDIAL WAS DEDICATED 27/1/2007 TO COMMEMORATE THE ARRIVAL TO THE JANDOWAE EAST DISTRICT, 100 YEARS BEFORE, OF WALTER AND ELIZA SKINNER

IN 1906 WALTER FILLAN SKINNER OF VICTORIA SELECTED AND LEASED 232 HECTARES OF SCRUB- COVERED LAND NEAR JANDOWAE. EARLY IN 1907 WITH HIS WIFE ELIZA HARRIET AND BABY SON,WALTER OCCUPIED THE PROPERTY AND NAMED IT “GLENFILLAN”. IN PLACE OF THE SCRUB, THEY FASHIONED A PRODUCTIVE DAIRY FARM. THERE THEY RAISED WAL, ROY, GORDON AND HELEN. FOR ELEVEN YEARS, “GLENFILLAN” ALSO HOUSED THE LOCAL TELEPHONE EXCHANGE.

IN 1937, WALTER AND ELIZA MOVED INTO JANDOWAE TOWNSHIP, LEAVING THEIR SONS AND THEIR WIVES (AUDREY, MARION AND AILSA) TO RUN THREE ADJOINING FARMS : “BOOBILARRE, “ “GLENROY” & “GLENFILLAN”. HELEN MARRIED GORDON HEWITT AND SETTLED ON
NEIGHBOURING “BELGIDDI”.

WALTER BECAME:
A JUSTICE OF THE PEACE (1924):
A WAMBO SHIRE COUNCILLOR (1930-34):
A BOARD MEMBER OF & A REPRESENTATIVE FOR DARLING DOWNS COOP SOCIETY:
A Trustee of the Methodist Church

 





 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design