John & Helen ScottPrint Page
Memorial erected by family and friends in memory of John and Helen Scott, the first settlers of Bunbury.
John and Helen arrived at Fremantle on the Ship "Eliza" on 5th March 1831. John Scott's first farm was 100 acres at Guildford. After six and a half years farming at Guildford John sold all he owned, intending to move to Port Philip Bay, Victoria.
Governor Stirling however, was anxious for John Scott to go to Bunbury and selected a property named Eelup for Scott. He was to be the Supervisor of all Stirling's land (location 26) and to perform land surveying duties in the area. In return for his services the Governor promised John that he could have Eelup (330 acres) free of charge.
The Scotts lived at Eelup for forty two years. When Governor Stirling's term of office ended he went to England without giving John Scott the title deeds of Eelup. Ownership of the land was disputed and the case taken to Court. John Scott lost the case because of the inconsistency of his evidence.
|Address:||Stirling Street, Anzac Park , Bunbury, 6230|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.327358|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 3rd June, 1961|