Captain William Henry BacchusPrint Page
Sandstone headstone, enclosed by wrought iron fencing, with a marble tablet superimposed erected in 1936 by L. Dugdale and unveiled by the Archbishop of Melbourne, Rt Rev. F.W. Head, marking the grave of the pioneer settler of Bacchus Marsh, Captain William Henry Bacchus who died on 24 February 1849, aged 67.
The Bacchus Marsh and District Historical Society were given permission to restore the grave in 1972.
Bacchus Marsh's first white settler, Kenneth Scobie Clarke, arrived from Van Dieman's Land in 1836. When Clarke departed in 1838, Captain William Henry Bacchus, a retired military officer and magistrate, took up land in the valley between the Werribee and Lerderderg Rivers. The town was named after Captain Bacchus and after the natural marshland of the area that was subsequently drained by the early settlers.
|Address:||19 Gisborne Road, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Bacchus Marsh, 3340|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.673491|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 25th October, 1936|
Sacred to the memory of Captain William Henry Bacchus
Who died 26th Feb 1849
Aged 67 years
To the memory of Captain William Henry Bacchus who died 26th Feb 1849
Aged 67 years
This tablet was presented by L. Dugdale Esq., and unveiled by the Most Rev. F. W. Head Archbishop of Melbourne
25th October 1936