Charles Throsby SmithPrint Page
Plaque on St Michael's Church commemorates Charles Throsby Smith who gave the land on which the church stands.
In 1834 the town of Wollongong was surveyed by Major Mitchell. Charles Throsby Smith had received a 300 acre land grant from Governor Lachlan Macquarie in 1820. He gave a 2-acre block on one of the highest rises of his property to the Church of England which included a condition that the church block be approached by a street on each of its four sides.
|Address:||Church & Market Streets, St Michael`s Anglican Cathedral, Wollongong, 2520|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.423811|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
To the glory of God and in memory of Charles Throsby Smith who gave the land on which these buildings stand.