James & Elizabeth MastersPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the founder of Riverton.
Riverton grew according to a plan, designed by James Masters in 1856. He had previously laid out the township of Saddleworth, named after his native town in Yorkshire, England. He realized another township was necessary to supply the needs of the other new settlers who were already taking up smaller properties in the neighbourhood. He chose a site in the Gilbert Valley a little south of his home as an ideal spot. In 1853 he had bought Section 500 and 461, Hundred of Gilbert, where he set about planning this second town of his designing.
|Address:||Barrier Highway, Pioneer Garden Cemetery, Riverton, 5412|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.141671|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
DISTRICT COUNCIL OF RIVERTON
To The Memory Of
Pastoralist, Founder & Benefactor
Born Yorkshire 1801
Died City of York 4-10-1861
And To His Wife
Died at "THE LODGE"
Interred In This Cemetery