John & David CampbellPrint Page
Memorial wall with black granite tablets erected in memory of early pioneers, John and David Campbell.
In 1826, John & David Campbell were granted 2560 acres (the maximum at the time) on Great Northern Road and at the crossing point over Black Creek. They quickly built a cottage (valued at £30) and named their new estate Cessnock, after their family’s seat of power, Cessnock Castle. The convenient location was used as a temporary camp for travellers, often resembling a small village, and in 1853, was divided into allotments and auctioned. By 1901 the population stood at 165, until in 1926, this figure exploded to 12,000 with the discovery of first grade coal.
|Address:||Wollombi Road, Near Swimming Pool, Cessnock, 2325|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.832067|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.