John Grant Print Page
Bridge commemorates John Grant who was a convict transported to Australia in 1810 at the age of 18. After he was freed in 1820 he was granted his first 50 acres and then went on to be a major land holder.
|Address:||Newton & Tilga Streets, Canowindra, 2804|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.571899|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 14th December, 1996|
JOHN GRANT ( 1792 - 1866 )
This bridge honours the early pioneer settler
of the Canowindra District.
John Grant was born in Moyne, Tipperary,
He was transported to New South Wales in
1810 at the age of 18.
He arrived in the period of the Governorship of
He was a model Macquarie convict.
Assigned to emancipist surgeon Dr. William
Redfern, Grant became Redfern`s overseer on
A free man in 1820, he was granted his first
50 acres and named it "Moyne Farm" at
Drought brought Grant to the Belubula and
Lachlan Districts in 1826 where he began his
claims on thousands of acres including the
squatter`s run of "Merriganowry".
John Grant was a convict who bridged two
continents, bridged the early Colonial settlement
and hinterland and was himself a
bridge to the Belubula and Lachlan Districts.
A GREAT AUSTRALIAN
14 December 1996