William ChidlowPrint Page
A well commemorates pioneer, William Chidlow. The plaque was erected on the well during the town's jubilee celebrations in 1951.
The Chidlow townsite was originally named Chidlow's Well after a small waterhole near the old Northam road. The watering place had been known to travellers for many years and was named after a pioneer family of Northam. Settlement began in 1883 when it became known that Chidlow's Well was to be the terminus of the second section of the Eastern Railway. The railway station and townsite were changed from Chidlow's well to Chidlow in 1920.
The association of the Darling Range community at Chidlow (formerly Chidlow's Wells) with the pioneer family of Chidlow was marked last Saturday by unveiling a plaque attached to a wishing well in the town. The Chidlow family were among the early settlers of Western Australia and the three brothers-Henry, William and Peter-used what was later known as the old Northam road when transporting supplies between the Swan River Settlement the Avon Valley farms of York and Northam. The two-day journey of more than 60 miles demanded a camping place at night where stock could be watered. The Chidlow area provided water readily, as the brothers discovered when they dug their first well on the present Harbord property known as Pendower. Other wells were dug too, and so the district got its name.
The West Australian (Perth), 23rd June 1951.
|Address:||Thomas Street & Old Northam Road, Chidlow, 6556|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.862241|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 16th June, 1951|
Erected By The
Community Of Chidlow