Patrick MolloyPrint Page
A plaque commemorates teamster Patrick Molloy after whom the town was named.
Mount Molloy was established in 1880 after Patrick Molloy, a selector who had taken up land beside Rifle Creek on the Port Douglas to Herberton track, found rich copper deposits. Patrick Molloy attracted the interest of James Forsythe and Venture Mulligan, who promoted the potential of the area to Melbourne investors. The investors, including the Victorian Premier, formed the Mount Molloy Copper Mining Company in 1899. The mine was taken over by John Moffatt.
|Address:||Peninsula Development Road, Mount Molloy, 4871|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -16.673889|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
In Memory Of PATRICK MOLLOY
A WORTHY SON OF ERIN
PIONEER, TEAMSTER MINER AND GRAZIER
Tested And Successfully Worked Copper Mines Which Led To Founding Of Mount Molloy 1896
The Green Mound First Sighted By Cuddihy In 1885