Dempster BrothersPrint Page
Memorial commemorates the pioneer Dempster Brothers.
Permanent European settlement of Esperance commenced with the arrival of the Dempster family from Northam in 1863. Accompanied by 500 sheep and 200 horses, the Dempster brothers were granted vast grazing leases encompassing all of present day Esperance. The Dempsters prospered and within a few years waves of pioneering graziers came flooding in, opening up the Salmon Gum country to the north, and later spilling over onto the arid lands of the Nullarbor.
|Address:||The Esplanade, Port Authority Park, Esperance, 6450|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.869167|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||P. Gelencser|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
William, Edward, James & Andrew Dempster./ Pioneer Settlers of Esperance 1864. /This work was commissioned in 1988 by the Old Cannery Arts Centre and funded by the people of Esperance in conjunction with the Australian Bicentennial Authority and the Shire of Esperance./ Sculptor : P. Gelencser